Re: Mad Men Season 5

Hi AJC. Yes it was downbeat but appropriately so. It had a hypnotic subtlety that makes one want to revisit the episode for any nuances that might have been missed. There was something quite haunting about this episode, as to be expected since it was titled 'The Phantom'.

I have to say that Megan has an ethereal beauty that is almost intoxicating. And the closing song "You only live twice" felt like sipping on expensive cognac.

As good a season finale as any.

conkom wrote:Hey AJ. Not much discussion here on what has been an outstanding season. You of course caught the Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows" a few episodes ago. That must of cost Weiner and AMC a packet.

One more episode before the season finale. Well onward to the Boardwalk.
Yes! Loved it. This was easily my favorte season with regards to the usage of period music. I just felt it added so much.

I wonder if the music budget was something Weiner haggled over when he negotiated his new contract?

I just finished Season 5. And I loved it. I really like some of the more experimental episodes like Far Away Places. And I will say that the string of episodes Mystery Date, Signal 30, Far Away Places, and At the Codfish Ball may be the best the show has produced in a row.

Plenty of heartbreaking stuff going on. And I am glad that we continue to see Sally develop as a character. She has usurped many of the people who were originally more prominent on the show in the first season. Which actually says quite a bit about the capabilities of that little actress.

The one thing that always takes me out of the story however, so the anvil-to-the-head symbolism that the show utilizes. It isn't horrible or anything, but it also is nowhere near subtle. The show does quite a bit better in the quiet moments where the audience is left with all the feelings of the characters. We don't necessarily need it to be spelled out, but this is a minor quibble.

It was an exceptional season. The symbolism might appear to be heavy handed but in retrospect it is very appropriate. It highlights the significant changes that occurred through the sixties. I have been rewatching the first series and what is striking is how different 1960 is from the mid 60s. The surreal ambience is actually quite subtle. The one song that best typifies this is the Beatles seminal "Tomorrow Never Knows". I can't wait to see how Weiner concludes this series.

I've since come to terms with Mad Men and the tempered expectations I've placed on it, but I did enjoy the season as well. Some really good stand-alone episodes this season, and as Garth mentioned, I enjoyed some of the experimental directions the show explored as well.

The "Is this all there is?" sense of malaise was hammered home this year, especially in the finale, and it's starting to feel like a series that's winding down. But with at least two full seasons left under contract, I think the show has to pick up a little more steam somehow, if that makes any sense.

Curious where Weiner goes from here. On The Sopranos, this would be the point where Chase would just unveil some new baddies that got released from prison to liven things up, but I don't think Mad Men has that option, lol.

I remember reading somewhere that Mad Men is a show under the guise of being about an ad agency. When it really is the origin of Sally Draper : Serial Killer. I find that endlessly amusing. And as much shit as this show has thrown at her, it isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

I'm really interested in exacly how, when, & where the show ends. At this rate, we're probably going to fly through the latter stages of the decade (I'm really interested how the final years of the 60s are portrayed), but "when" exactly it ends remains a mystery.

I read some article where Weiner discussed the possibility of the show ending outside it's own time frame. Maybe the present? In theory, Don Draper could be alive in 2012, but not likely considering his lifestyle , lol.

AJColossal wrote:I'm really interested in exacly how, when, & where the show ends. At this rate, we're probably going to fly through the latter stages of the decade (I'm really interested how the final years of the 60s are portrayed), but "when" exactly it ends remains a mystery.

I read some article where Weiner discussed the possibility of the show ending outside it's own time frame. Maybe the present? In theory, Don Draper could be alive in 2012, but not likely considering his lifestyle , lol.
Well they have two seasons to wrap it all up. I really love the attention to detail this show has. As someone else in this thread already mentioned, the late 60s looked much different than the early 60s. You can see that easily with the different suits the men wear. Don had a plaid suit jacket at one point this season. That couldn't be more different than the navy blue or black sports jackets.

Well, Matthew Weiner certainly took some cues from Sopranos on how to kill off a character in the most gut wrenching way. Actually this was more of a gut punch than any Sopranos whacking, considering death isn't generally an occupational hazard with ad execs.
Taps, lights out, 2200 hours. What's missing? Give up? Television.

Having just finished the tremendous season 5, I have to say that this series is majestic. Incredibly layered, fascinating characters and brilliant atmosphere of one of the most important decades in humanity's development and the world at large. I'm starting season 6 now and I think that 5 was the best. Tragic descents and newfound opportunities with the always present sense of humour that makes Mad Men such a great show. :icon_cool:
"I use the technique of positive visualization. How come I always feel undermined?"

Return to “Mad Men”