Re: Mad Men Season 4

I would put season 4 ahead of season 3. I think at a certain point in the middle of the season, it was off to as good a start as any season, but it lost steam in the last few episodes.

But Jouster, I kind of share some of your sentiment about my feelings of the show as a whole. Part of what began to turn me off is that as the show began to show some wear and tear (notably the third season on), it sort of became to be beyond critical reproach, which was odd.

Also, interesting thoughts on your lack of feelings for Don Draper's character arc. I've become pretty numb to the arc of the rest of the characters, but I'm still on board with Don, especially with trying to figure out what exactly was going on with him in the last episode.

Not sure where else they can go with him, but it will be interesting to find out as they start to explore the "meat" of what we know as the 60s.

When Don lies in bed staring into space or an open window with no view it (the closing scene) might suggest apprehension or doubts about the future or even a lament about the past.

Mad Men is a journey through a remarkable decade and I suspect Weiner will end it in 1969 when the world looked entirely different to the first episode.

What makes the show, is the subtle use of the social changes of the times as a backdrop to the plot and characterisations.

I don't think any season stands out. I think, like the Sopranos, every episode represents an aspect of the whole. We are probably more than half way through another significant literary work.

conkom wrote:When Don lies in bed staring into space or an open window with no view it (the closing scene) might suggest apprehension or doubts about the future or even a lament about the past.

Mad Men is a journey through a remarkable decade and I suspect Weiner will end it in 1969 when the world looked entirely different to the first episode.

What makes the show, is the subtle use of the social changes of the times as a backdrop to the plot and characterisations.

I don't think any season stands out. I think, like the Sopranos, every episode represents an aspect of the whole. We are probably more than half way through another significant literary work.
Conkom, I think I agree with you about seasons not particularly standing out. I think it's a testament to the relative consistent quality of the show. I think I prefer certain season over others but it's not like other shows where I have clear favorites.

I also think the show does a good job with the slow social transition as the 60s become the 60s. I did wish the show used music more, as I think that's a huge component in depicting these social changes.

I believe that's a budgetary issue but it would be incredible if Mad Men got the David Chase treatment with regards to music.

Hi AJC. The Sopranos was a contemporary series set in the period it was made. The music however was picked from many eras and blended in with the on-going narrative.

If Mad Men used as much music than it has (and predominantly music from the 60s) than I think it wouldn't just detract from the story, it would cross the fine line between drama and parody.

I think the music used is just right especially the use of some obscure songs from the times.

conkom wrote:If Mad Men used as much music than it has (and predominantly music from the 60s) than I think it wouldn't just detract from the story, it would cross the fine line between drama and parody.
Yes and no. If Mad Men started to use "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" "Turn, Turn, Turn" and "All Along the Watchtower", then I agree, what they're doing now is much better than that. I'm not talking about turning the show into a cheesy network miniseries about the 60s.

Like anything else, it would have to be done tastefully, but I think they could do a better job with the music to tell the story. The Sopranos told a fabulous story using music alone, and you're telling a story set during the most fertile period of popular music. At the very least, get rid of the score music :icon_wink:

Seriously though, I know they can't do it that way due to budget restrictions. When they used "Satisfaction", that must have been half of their budget right there.

I will say they do a FABULOUS job with music in the closing scenes. Some of my favorite scenes of the series.

Return to “Mad Men”