Re: Mad Men Season 3

I figure that last episode's revelation will probably go down as a top-5 significant moment in the run of the show (unless Mad Men really goes haywire with twists and shocking developments -- uh, not likely) , and I thought it was a good scene. Not mind-blowing, but an interesting and well-acted scene.

So you had a chance here for the show to have it's Whitecaps moment, and really just go for it in a dramatic sense, but they played it pretty tastefully and safe. I keep wanting the show to go in a direction it just won't go, and I have to learn to stop doing that.

But yes, really cool development, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

I thought at any moment Suzanne was going to walk in the house when Dick was confessing to Betty. Now that was intense.

Interestingly enough, I was flipping through channels on Monday, and what do I turn to on A&E but the classic Tony and Carmela spar in "Whitecaps."
"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"

I don't know if anyone else here also watches Dexter (created by another Sopranos alumni - James Manos Jr) but there are some eerie parallels to Mad Men.

Both Dexter and Draper have had some secret revealed to their wives and both have been accused of risking their marriages because of this. Dexter's wife Rita however does not know the full extent of what he is really hiding.

I wonder if the JFK assassination will be covered at all by season's end of MM?

conkom wrote:I wonder if the JFK assassination will be covered at all by season's end of MM?
At the rate they're moving through the 1963 timeline with each episode, I don't see how they can't. They might even be there by next episode.

Remember, Roger's daughter's wedding is scheduled for the day after.

Finally back again- sorry to have missed tracking these more recent posts.

Can't say i thought they quite captured the national mourning around the Kennedy assasination. Again, i'm starting to think that the fact that the main writers weren't around for that time is catching up with the show- its becoming a caricature of itself, if that makes sense. It is losing a personal gut level feel for the times; or perhaps starting to reflect the isolated viewpoint of the upper middle class perspective that i think Weiner refers to remembering as a kid.

Per previous posts by AJColossal and that excellent exchange with Garth, i'm starting to wonder if January Jones is quite up to the task. I mean- she makes for a great plastic Barbie doll... but doesn't seem like she's growing into the role, or keeping up with the times at all or maturing in her relationship with Don/Dick. The unrequited fling with the politician just rang hollow and didn't seem to have real chemistry to me, versus the genuine chemistry igniting between Don and the teacher. To tell you the truth- i think they are far better matched as a couple. The teacher actually has some real thoughts in her head, and isn't just reacting to life all the time. Seems that Betty's only refuge is her increasing drinking, which actually was probably a common vent for upper mid/upper class housewives at that time. With the somewhat not believable storyline of the political fling, i thought they might bring in the valium angle. Although in the first season, which i thought was infinitely better, when they had the precocious little boy Glenn (played by Matt Weiner's son) develop the crush on Betty, i really thought we might hear The Graduate theme song (about Mrs. Robinson) played at some point. That would definitely capture a particular theme of the times and the reality of Mother's Little Helper for genuinely frustrated housewives. Somehow, January just isn't selling me on the Betty i think they are trying to develop. But her character does make me have a touch of understanding that Don feels compelled to look elsewhere for deep human interaction. i mean- imagine waking up to a barbie doll in your bed every morning?! That would get old.

Interesting how in parallel, they are showing us how Sterling is coming up against the reality that he married a kid- locking herself in the bathroom no less- like a pouting teenager! And Mona just completely gets it. What do you bet that Roger gets back with "Red"- it just seems like the logical next direction. Joan's pet doctor goes off to war, maybe doesn't come back, and Roger finally realizes what he threw away.

i am hoping the wannabe Governor's fainting setee or chaise lounge (!) or whatever that was in Betty's living room goes away. - or has it already disappeared? Ghastly. :icon_eek:

Hi Bada,

I thought the episode was quite good and well paced. Despite the audience knowing the significance of November 22 it was interesting to see how people at that time went about their routines and sometimes petty concerns and then watching that all be overshadowed by the events that followed.

The scene where Pete and Harry were discussing Kenny's promotion while the soap opera on TV was interupted by the newsflash exemplified the turn of events.

I was too young to remember that day but even here in Australia it shaped our collective consciousness especially in the years that followed. I do clearly remember King's and RFK's assassinations and the impact these had.

JFK's death represented a watershed for the sixties and it will be interesting to see how Mad Men will portray the social, cultural and political changes that will soon follow.

This has been an excellent season. We seem to forget because of the rose-tinted nostalgia for the times that the early sixties was still a stifling and oppressive period for women and minorities. In that respect I wish to commend January Jones for her portrayal of the ice-queen housewife. Don and Betty are truly opposites in many respects. They both complement and negate one another. They are the yin and yang of the show.

I do hope the series sees out the 60s. Apart from Mad Men, Dexter, Curb Your Enthusiasm and watching the Wire for the first time on DVD, there are awfully slim pickings when it comes to TV viewing.
It makes one want to watch the Sopranos all over again!

AJColossal wrote:So, what did we think?

I was kind of...baffled.
Loved every minute of the finale. Actually, the last half of this season was the best run I've seen from Mad Men. Easily.

I can't be the only one who chuckled (or groaned) when the first image we see in the finale is Don sleeping...quite reminiscent of another show which name excapes me. ha.
"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"

mutualdream wrote:Loved every minute of the finale. Actually, the last half of this season was the best run I've seen from Mad Men. Easily.

I can't be the only one who chuckled (or groaned) when the first image we see in the finale is Don sleeping...quite reminiscent of another show which name excapes me. ha.
That finale was pitch perfect. Really I couldn't think of a way they could have improved upon it. Jon Hamm did an excellent job showing subtle and less-than-subtle conflict. All around amazing.

Return to “Mad Men”