Re: Mad Men Season 3

Hi Everyone- back after a brief hiatus! :icon_biggrin:

Wow- the show is really kicking in! ANd sure enough- Barbie has arrived! ANd tossed into a hedge no less! That last episode was really great, but the topper of them all- the surprising scene in previous epi with the lawn mower- just priceless. Top guy losing his foot-- "... just after he got it in the door". Very Sopranos-like, imho. fantastic, memorable scene. i can hardly wait 'til Sunday.

Just when I thought I was comparing this show to The Sopranos too much, the last episode was a largely a detour with a trip to Italy. :icon_mrgreen:

Thought the season has picked up, but I feel I'm getting a bit more detached on an emotional level to this show as it goes on.

I'm convinced at the pace they're on that they will touch on the Kennedy assassination. That should be interesting.

Much like Sopranos, the pacing of this show takes a while to get going. Looking back on Sopranos season premiere's with exception of maybe the first season (since the world was introduced) and 6a, not a whole lot happens. It is mostly setting the stage, like the first act of a drama performance does, for the rising action, climax and conclusion.

So I am not sure why people here are so surprised at the slow start. I think it might just be hard to get back into the swing of having to wait weekly for episodes, and early on in the season this can get frustrating.

After the "John Deer" incident, I for one was more then happy to wait another week for that quality of episode. The season has hit its stride, and maybe it did take a bit longer to get rolling then other seasons, but it has me pretty pumped!

Great episode last night. Looks like Don is heading for a big fall.

On a Soprano-related note...When Betty finally found the contents of what was in Don's drawer, I couldn't helped but notice that, unlike Carmela, who tried so hard to find Tony's secret stash of cash, Betty couldn't have cared less about the money in drawer. She wanted to find out his secrets.

I've also read people comparing Don's new mistress, the teacher, to Gloria. Like she's going to start stalking him or something. THat plot line seems to obvious here. I actually like her character. THe look in Don's eyes when they were having pillow talk was actually very sweet and tender.
"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"

mutualdream wrote:Great episode last night. Looks like Don is heading for a big fall.

On a Soprano-related note...When Betty finally found the contents of what was in Don's drawer, I couldn't helped but notice that, unlike Carmela, who tried so hard to find Tony's secret stash of cash, Betty couldn't have cared less about the money in drawer. She wanted to find out his secrets.

I've also read people comparing Don's new mistress, the teacher, to Gloria. Like she's going to start stalking him or something. THat plot line seems to obvious here. I actually like her character. THe look in Don's eyes when they were having pillow talk was actually very sweet and tender.
There are many Sopranos parallels. And as much as I like Mad Men, I wish it would come into its own a bit more. There are too many similarities to Sopranos for me really love it.

And, Garth, to address an earlier post you made about the slow start, when the show goes into tangential storylines with other characters (like The Sopranos) the supporting cast isn't always strong enough to pull it off, IMO.

What does everyone think of January Jones on the show? I personally think she's *OK*. As the show goes on, and the show asks her to do more, especially in relation to Jon Hamm (who is A-level), I don't really know if she's up for the task.

I know part of it must be how Weiner wants her to play it -- very subdued and repressed, but by design or not, she's not a terribly compelling actress.

Imagine how much weaker The Sopranos would have been if Edie Falco couldn't hold her own (and then some) up against James Gandolfini in the countless wonderful scenes they had together.

AJColossal wrote:And, Garth, to address an earlier post you made about the slow start, when the show goes into tangential storylines with other characters (like The Sopranos) the supporting cast isn't always strong enough to pull it off, IMO.

What does everyone think of January Jones on the show? I personally think she's *OK*. As the show goes on, and the show asks her to do more, especially in relation to Jon Hamm (who is A-level), I don't really know if she's up for the task.

I know part of it must be how Weiner wants her to play it -- very subdued and repressed, but by design or not, she's not a terribly compelling actress.

Imagine how much weaker The Sopranos would have been if Edie Falco couldn't hold her own (and then some) up against James Gandolfini in the countless wonderful scenes they had together.
Yeah. I agree with the comment about the other characters and the slow start. I also think the writing doesn't always pop as nicely as Sopranos did. While Sopranos would start "slow", you would still feel like you watched something happen, while Mad Men, I find that I have a bit of an empty feeling. Though I'll admit, I really liked this season's opener.

As for January Jones. I really despise Betty, so I am biased. I can't decide if she is playing her character remarkably well and that is why I dislike her so much. Or if I just hate the character regardless.

Return to “Mad Men”