Game of Thrones

Anyone watching this one? For me, it has finally replaced the gaping hole left on Sunday nights when the Sops left us. 3rd season starts soon. I'd love to hear what people are expecting, hoping for, and all else. I would say be careful of spoilers if you have read the books (I have) but speak up if you are watching? Winter is coming. ;)
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Re: Game of Thrones

Great set of books. I got into these in high school but never watched the TV series until this past Christmas break and it's equally as well done. The series is well written, well produced, and has one of the best ensemble casts of current TV shows. I'm really impressed with Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger and the actors that portray Ned Starks kids, particularly (Bran and Arya).

I'm curious what will happen if the TV series reaches the end of season 5 and there is no sixth book on the horizon. It's morbid to say, but George Martin is in his 60's and it's taken something like 5 or 6 years in between the last two books (and David Chase was supposed to be bad!), so if he--God forbid--passes away, I wonder if they'd cancel it. It's one of the more expensive shows on right now and will probably only get more expensive as the plot introduces even more visually complex settings, characters and storyline-payoffs. I think the Showrunners are superb, though, I believe they'd be able to make a compelling final two or three seasons out of the open storylines that the 5th book leaves open.

The season premiere was last night, did anyone else watch? I thought it was pretty good. Ciaran Hinds was a great addition to the cast. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Tyrion-Lord Tywin relationship unfold throughout the season. Their first scene together from last night's episode was great.

Enjoyed it myself, especially as I was already spoiled that Arya, Jamie et al would not appear. Thankfully, they are coming soon. I am excited that Dany will have a stronger arc this season. I thought her's tended to drag a bit at the end of last season and was disappointed at the House of the Undying sequence. The book sequence was a lot more intriguing though perhaps cost prohibitive (and spoiler filled, frankly.)

DH, how familiar are with the books? I've been rewatching the series lately and I can't help but notice that almost all of the dialogue is taken verbatim from the books. I can't think of any adaptation--TV or Movie--that is able to stay so faithful to the source material.

I've read them through once (and like jouster, re-reading Storm of Swords a second time prior to this season.) As best I can tell, much of the dialogue with scenes from the book are quite close. If I had a gripe, it would be leaving some bits of choice dialogue out of the show. Never sure why they would leave out a nice turn of phrase. (See: The Hound not telling Sansa to sing for him before he took off from King's Landing...or for that matter, it not being him that tells Sansa the story of how he got burned as it was in the books.)

Anyone watching this one?
Yeah.

Thou me neva read the books, and prefer more stuff like: Homeland and Sons of Anarchy it helps me to wait for these 'til fall and winter.
Wonderful costumes and scenery. It's exciting, not least because of the constant change of scenes of action and the annoying cliffhangers at the end of each episode. The acting is brilliant. Yo!
My favorite is Dinklage.

Yours truly fuggin' Douche

Return to “Television”