Treme

Anyone watching this one yet on HBO? I missed the debut but caught the first 2 episodes yesterday back to back and it was quite nice. Great music and though there is plenty of "blame" being thrown around re: Katrina and New Orleans, it isn't heavyhanded or limited to any one individual which I appreciate. The acting is superb and I am loving Khandi Alexander so far (she was on News Radio) as well as seeing John Goodman back on the screen (man, he still really needs to lose some weight...I'd like to see him reach a nice old age and get plenty more choice parts!)

I think there are some interesting themes as well to consider - loss and rebuilding, blame and acceptance, doing what you can to get by or giving up...lot's of stuff to look at. And did I mention the music? I believe I did but must reiterate again - if you love jazz and especially New Orleans jazz, then you simply must watch to hear the outstanding music used on the show.

Finally, as best as I can tell they are doing a darn good job getting things authentic. I've been to NO several times over the years (went just a few weeks before Katrina hit and was supposed to return soon after for a mini convention but the storm killed that plan.) The city is more than just the French Quarter and they make sure to show that. I did go back soon after and they certainly have the devastation right. The view from the interstate still looks like that, I am afraid. :icon_cry:
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Re: Treme

I started to watch the 1st episode after seeing the intial glowing reviews. Unfortunatly, I kind of fell into the same trap i did with The Wire: I just don't know if i want to subject myself to the relentless misery of a tortured community. I love New Orleans and have been there many times, especially around Jazzfest. But I also know how tough that town can have it, even pre- Katrina. Even the bleakest show can have a touch of underlying humor. If John Goodman(who i like) was there to provide it, it didn't work for me. Having said that, I have become a big fan of watching several episodes at once before i completely give up on a new show (I did that with Ray Romano's new one). With on demand and network websites its much easier to do so maybe after episode 3 i'll sit down with it again.

Watched the first two episodes. I liked what I saw. And I like the Wire connection in that it features two of the actors and the creator.

Not sure if it can sustain a long term story-line.

The music is brilliant.

It's definitely making me want to finally crack The Wire open and take a look. I am waiting for one of the super saver days at Amazon to pick it up. :icon_wink:

Finally watched this past Sunday's show yesterday and the feel is slow but cooking...I guess you'd call that simmering. Not sure I care for all the knee jerk anti Bushisms that show up but it is true to the time period, certainly. Without that, it would be lacking verisimilitude. I am at least pleased to see that those railing the most at this or that usually find someone that is able to express the opposite sentiment to at least gets the various sides of issues out there.

Case in point the trombone sold to a pawn shop out of police evidence. While not proper procedure, David Morse's character (great to see him show up, as well as Tim Reid) explains that the cops they do still have working are just as down and out as everyone else at that time.

[Possible spoiler news so don't read if you don't want even the hint of a spoiler] As for one other aspect of the show last night that left me guessing as to what the hell was going on, the characters of Sonny and Annie may be based on this story. Never heard of it before now. I suppose that is a direction to go, if they do. Horrible story, nonetheless.

I hope your wrong Detective. I am rather smitten with Annie. And I'm still getting over Rita!

Seen the first 5 eps and I am quite enjoying the series. It is indicative of the quality one would expect from HBO.

Interestingly along with Antoine and the Chief we are getting some cameos from the other cast members of the Wire.

And I loved Davis' crack about a certain 80s band when they were performing his campaign song. A Soprano's nut would enjoy what he meant.

BTW thanks for the heads up on Treme.

PS It is mighty quiet around here.

I have to say that, sadly, this show is a disappointment. While I do greatly enjoy certain aspects (mostly Wendell Pierce and Khandi Alexander, two incredibly charismatic actors), I feel like the characterization falls short, and the extremely minimal plot isn't keeping me all that interested. John Goodman's character, especially, is a mouthpiece for the views of the powers that be behind the show and it is not only annoying but a waste of talent. They might bring things to a head in the final two episodes, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyone else feeling similarly?

To be honest, I must admit I was surprised there would only be 2 more episodes after last night. I think I was lulled into a sense of calmly following each week and not thinking about where one plot thread might end up. It is so well acted, I think, that I am just sort of loving living alongside these lives (much the same way I did with Sopranos' characters.) I'll definitely agree there does not seem to be much sense of urgency in many of the proceedings, especially as the David/Daymo story thread seems somewhat wrapped.

That said, I think the nature of this narrative is built to parallel the lives of these people - many of them still up in the air and unsure of where to go or what to do. I get a real sense of dread near the end of this last episode (the Mardi Gras episode) and knowing a bit about the period after Katrina, I am wondering if perhaps they won't be following along some of those plot strands (let's just say there are a rash of deaths in NO during that time - murders, suicides and all else) that got the locals pretty down in 2006 which is where they are now on the show.

With only 2 episodes left, I am definitely going to go the whole way this season. I will surely be curious how they can keep such a plot line together, however, as they move into subsequent seasons. There is enough material to include, I suppose, but how long will people remain interested. I also wonder if there isn't a certain amount of the famous Katrina fatigue that keeps people from enjoying?

I don't know if anyone here has seen the first episode of season 2 but it's quite a compelling show. It plays like a very intelligent soap opera and has a genuine ensemble cast.

Most importantly it has the best soundtrack of any TV show.

One day I have to visit New Orleans for the music alone.

Return to “Television”