Tree's Lounge

Anyone seen this before? Great movie (1996) directed by Steve Buscemi.

I love movies about barflys.

But it was even more interesting because it seemed like every other scene in the beginning of this flick, there was a Sopranos character popping up.

The guy who played Artie is in this, Carmella's mom, Michael Imperolli (sic?), Daniel Baldwin, Buscemi obviously, Elizabeth Baracco,etc. As is the Australian actor Anthony Lapanglia (sic), who was one of Chase's original choices to play Tony, and whose brother played Chris' character in Cleaver.

Check it out.
"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"

Re: Tree's Lounge

There's a very good reason for that - it was cast by the same casting team that did The Sopranos, Sheila Jaffe and Georgianne Walken. In fact, David Chase has said that he enjoyed Tree's Lounge and more specifically the casting so much that he sought them out for the show.

I agree, btw - very good movie. Is it on DVD yet? It wasn't the last time I checked.

jouster wrote:There's a very good reason for that - it was cast by the same casting team that did The Sopranos, Sheila Jaffe and Georgianne Walken. In fact, David Chase has said that he enjoyed Tree's Lounge and more specifically the casting so much that he sought them out for the show.

I agree, btw - very good movie. Is it on DVD yet? It wasn't the last time I checked.
I just added it to my blockbuster queue so it's on DVD but it looks to only be the pan and scan version. I hate when they edit movies to fit the screen, especially in this day and age.

Been meaning to see this forever, so thanks for the reminder, mutualdream. :icon_biggrin:
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

jouster wrote:There's a very good reason for that - it was cast by the same casting team that did The Sopranos, Sheila Jaffe and Georgianne Walken. In fact, David Chase has said that he enjoyed Tree's Lounge and more specifically the casting so much that he sought them out for the show.

Hmm, well that explains it. I knew there had to been some sort of connection there.

Yup, it's on DVD.

Daniel Baldwin's performance leads me to believe he would've been a great mob boss. Too bad he can't keep off the coke and booze--he's a good actor.
"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"

Finally watched this and enjoyed it. It's a little depressing but Buscemi does a fine job both in front of and behind the camera. As has been stated, huge cross-over cast with the Sops due to the casting directors and it's a testament to how good they are that I could buy them as another character after watching them for so long as Chris, Carm's mom, Tony B. etc. It's certainly worth a look see if you haven't yet watched it.
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Return to “Literature and Film”