Oscar time: I can't choose for you. Just call it.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan either but we've had a darn good year of movies. What was your favorite? Who do you think made a name for themselves this year? Could Ellen Page actually win? Are the Coen Brother's the rulers of the galaxy?

Let's discuss the last year in film and debate the oscar nominations.

My money is on:

Best Picture: No Country for Old Men

Best Director: The Coen Brothers (I'm biased)

Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis or Viggo. I like them both but DDL will probable win because nobody saw Eastern Promises. Viggo nailed his role in every way but the film just didn't find an audience. You have to respect the sauna scene. I'm not being childish. That would be very hard to pull off filmmaking wise. .

Best Supporting Actor: Javiar Bardem. There is no competition. Probable the greatest bad guy since Hannibal Lecter.

Best Actress: Ellen Page. Maybe? This is probable the most up for grabs category. I'm picking her because of all the Juno hype. Laura Linney would be my second guess because Christie and Cotillard are going to split the votes they got at the Golden Globes. I'm really thinking Page will get it. Best performance or not.

Best supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett

Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody for Juno. This is pretty much a lock.

Adapted screenplay: The Coens for No Country for Old Men.

Editing: The Coens

Cinamotography: Roger Deakins!!!! Give the man what is owed him!

Sound: NCFOM was just brilliant. There was no score for the film, so the fact that they made it so suspenseful using all real world sound was amazing and is incredible hard to do. It's not the first time it's been done, but an awesome job.

Documentary: Sicko
Bacala: You know, Quasimodo predicted all this.
Tony: Who did what?

Re: Oscar time: I can't choose for you. Just call it.

I was going to be a big smartass and post my predictions for the 2008 ceremony here in 2011.

This is the last Oscar telecast I can think of where I agreed with every win other than Best Editing, which also should have gone to the Coens. The past few Best Picture wins have been puzzling to say the least.

And I'm still convinced that the Academy knew about Jesse James being a racist neo-Nazi asshole ahead of the award show last year, and that's how Sandra Bullock won a statue for what was easily an average performance in an utterly forgettable underdog sports movie that only has an Oscar win to differenciate from the dozens of other films with the exact same plot on the shelf at the video store. Not to mention the historical innaccuracies they invited by trying to make the story more dramatic, and of course, the borderline-disgusting "Magical Negro" moments.
What violin?!

Return to “Literature and Film”