"I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With"

Any fans of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" might appreciate "I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With", which is written, directed by and starring Jeff Garlin. Not only does it have that actor in common with "Curb", but it has a very similar conversational tone. The dialogue all feels like improvisation, and I was surprised to find out that it was very meticulously written by Garlin. "Curb" seems to have had some kind of influence on his writing, though, as lots of the conversations feels like very Larry David-esque rants.

The movie was all shot in Chicago, much to my delight. I know it's a big city, but I was still able to recognize several locations used. And in fact, there is a scene in the movie that takes place at the Music Box Theater on Southport - which is the very theater I was watching the movie at! When the crowd made that connection, it got a huge cheer.

I was lucky enough to attend the Chicago premiere, which Garlin attended for a post-film Q&A (he's a Chicago native himself). That man is absolutely hilarious! He really shared some great insights and tidbits with the audience, and had us all laughing the entire time he was doing so.

Every person who got up to ask him a question got a "prize" from him of sorts. The prizes included bagels, scripts that Jeff was sent that he had no interest in working on ("Well, this one was written by Paul Haggis - And I just read it in the last two weeks and have no idea what it's about! So now it's yours, my friend!"), an "It's Gonna Happen" Chicago Cubs T-shirt, and the bags he brought the bagels and scripts in. I ended up with the script bag, because by that time all of the "good" stuff was gone. But I will forever treasure it at Jeff Garlin's Lacoste bag.

Anyway, now I'm just gushing about how cool it was to see Garlin in person. But the point of all this is that if your a "Curb" fan, there's a good chance you'll enjoy "I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With". There are a few minor problems with the movie - it's by no means perfect - but it is, at least, very funny.

Detective Hunt - Are you into "Curb"? I figured you might, as it seems we are at least somewhat on the same comedic wavelength - Being as we share a love for "Arrested Development" and all (and there's only, what, about a dozen of us out there, right?).

Re: "I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With"

Not only do I love Curb Your Enthusiasm, I totally love Jeff Garlin. And certainly he has a say on the "script" of that show since it is pretty much improvised! In fact, Garlin's stand-up is hilarious. His bit on "you have a window" for cable companies and their like is awesome. He did some work for Crank Yankers that (while I don't really find the show funny) was itself really damn funny!

I'm going to definitely have to check this out. Thanks so much for the heads up because I had not heard of it before now. Awesome!

By the way, UP - do you live in the Windy City? I spent three glorious, cold and sometimes love-lorn years in that city and miss it near every day. I would not move back, but love to visit it every chance I get! Mostly I miss the music...and NOT my ex girlfriend/damn near wife! But the blues did help...definitely.:icon_wink:

P.S. - And yes, according to the networks, you, me and Uncle June were probably the only people to watch Arrested Development. So sad. So very sad. I mean...Come on!
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Glad I was able to fill you in! I just happened upon the trailer online, and then it was "Jeff Garlin? With Sarah Silverman? In a movie Jeff wrote and directed? Oh, I gotta see this thing!"

I actually live about an hour south of the city, but I take the Metra up all of the time. Gotta love the ol' Windy City - the plan's to live up there someday soon.
I mean...Come on!
:icon_biggrin: I've just recently rediscovered my DVD collection, and after watching the entire series already many, many times, I'm still picking up on subtle little in-jokes I hadn't before. It's absolutely incredible!

jouster wrote:Off-topic, I know, but is this season of Curb Your Enthusiasm the worst ever, or is it me?

PS I'm also an AD lover. "Bees?!"
"Beads!"

Worst season ever? Well, it seems that those "Classic Curb" moments are fewer and further between these past couple seasons. It's still often very funny, though, and there's still nothing I'd rather be watching on Sunday nights. The worst season of "Curb" still kills the best of most any network comedies (I say most because every so often, an AD comes along to give us a little bit of hope in the network show).

The second episode (the one where Larry must find out who, um, "jackletted", in the guestroom was pretty disappointing. It's probably instantly among my least favorite episodes; they just took that one gag and tried to stretch it into an entire episode, and it just wasn't worth an entire episode. Eh.

On the other hand, Jeff stealing Larry's plan to show up to parties a day late, the erotic cake, the Black family, the theft of the Funkhauser Memorial flowers, the freakbook ...All prettay good. Prettay, prettay, prettaaay, prettay good (anyone else lame enough to use that in real life all the time? Or just me?). :icon_biggrin:

Universal Polymath wrote:
On the other hand, Jeff stealing Larry's plan to show up to parties a day late, the erotic cake, the Black family, the theft of the Funkhauser Memorial flowers, the freakbook ...All prettay good. Prettay, prettay, prettaaay, prettay good (anyone else lame enough to use that in real life all the time? Or just me?). :icon_biggrin:
I use it every now and then. And if I could get away with it, I'd use Larry's stare-down. :icon_wink:

EDIT - By the way, I agree about that second episode, but it did provide Susie Essman plenty of chance for her patented cursing and screaming. I don't know why but the fact that she curses like a sailor just cracks me up, and of course, Larry brings that out the best.
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Keeping with "Curb" here - Man, what an episode last night! What did you guys think?

It was kind of surreal seeing something actually happen in this show - I mean, this is one of the biggest plot developments ever offered in a single episode (with the only larger episode being the one last year where Larry died. I try to forget about that one, though). This was like the "Whitecaps" of "Curb" episodes!

Return to “Literature and Film”