Re: The movie is "in the works"(!)

I saw the same thing too, and now I'm really starting to wonder for the first time about any of this. It really sounded like it was the end from Chase, but there have definitely been some rumblings lately that have got me wondering.

If a movie does surface, I think it'll give some ammunition to all the haters of the finale who thought the ending was purposely ambiguous to merely set-up the inevitable movie.

Wow, part of me really wishes this wasn't true. As a Bulls fan who HATED Michael Jordan coming back, I see some parallels. Like Jordan's career, I really think the legacy of The Sopranos should be left alone. It was perfect the way it was left.

Thanks and Very informative first post, Trblebound! i for one will be ecstatic if there's any sort of post-finale production, even though i do agree the show is just perfect as it is without any further comment or ado. It would just be frosting on the cake- and we could do without it, -but if they want to offer more- why not!? i'm hungry! :icon_biggrin:

I know what you mean, AJColossal. But prior to today, I was absolutely certain that there would be no post-finale addition to the series, whether in movie or television form. And while this latest article is in no way even close to being concrete, it's got me thinking ...

I'm just very conflicted over the very notion. If there is a movie, Chase had better be sitting on an absolutely phenomenal concept for it.

You know, I'd be very tempted to say this is just a guy trying to keep his place of business relevant, trying to keep its public profile high. But if it's true that he actually had blueprints drawn for renovations and has now shelved those plans, that's pretty convincing evidence that HE believes something's going to happen. The HBO "no comment" is also a little strange if there, in fact, are no plans at present for a film.

I dunno. As much as I had hoped for a different destiny for Tony than the one he ultimately found, I'm not sure I really want any more Sopranos. The more time has passed, the more I feel it needed to end . . . and end for good.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

If there is going to be a movie, it should be based before all of the seasons. For obvious reasons considering the ending. Also, even though the sopranos has a huge fan base I don't think its big enough to sustain a fully fledged movie. If the movie is set after the finale, the majority of people will not go see it because they wont have a clue whats going on. But if the movie is a prequel it will ignite new found interest in the series. Resulting in sky rocketing DVD sales.

This is the greatest news a Soprano Junkie like me could ever wish for! I mean this is what chase has wanted for so long. A feature length film. Im so excited I can hardly stand it. I am in no way disappointed or feel duped by the ending. He ended his relationship with cable TV, but to have the chance to put it to the big screen? It will be amazing! People will be passing out in theaters with all the tension The Sopranos creates. It will be a huge hit! I think that this news coupled with the actors calling out for "encore" signals to me a PR machine in the works to promote the coming movie. The movie will give Chase more freedom than before. Instead of mini-series style show he will have one huge pallet with years of background to build up to it! Of course they are making a movie! But does that mean they betrayed us? I think that is our own selfish desire to somehow have ownership of the show. Let it be I say. It could only be fucking amazing considering all the same people would be involved. The show could finally end. But the way Chase really wanted it all along. A movie. Bravo, Chase, Bravo! And I can't wait to pay the $9.00 to watch in absolute suspense for three precious hours the final chapter to this incredible opus!
You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.

Oh please don't do that! - i'm thinking of those scary Patterson Falls where they dangled the debtor over the railing...

A prequel could actually be really interesting, and now i'm thinking about speculating on that- with the various flashbacks to Livia's day, etc., it could be a bit like GFII and the scenes going back to Italy and the early immigration, etc. In fact, the more i think about it, the more i like the idea! Since the overall Sopranos theme dealt with Tony's psyche and development of his anxiety attacks and the addressing of them through his therapist, -what better way to fully come circle on the analysis than to more closely examine his parents and the generation and the social setting and culture that came before him. To reveal to us more of just what made him the person he is/was, thru Chase's perspective. And hopefully, with input from Matt Weiner, who is doing an incredible job with Madmen, and knows how to perfectly set the stage for that 50's-to-60s era. It just makes complete sense.

Return to “The Movie Never Ends”