Re: Mention of an alternative ending existing and other good

SilvioMancini wrote:Great post

I honestly feel that the Cloverfield monster killed the whole family. We'll know for sure on the 18th of January.

http://www.cloverfieldmovie.com/

P.S. Please mr./mrs./miss. Cloverfield monster. Don't just fuck up Manhatten. Come over to Brooklyn and raise some hell in Williamsburg.

Thanks, I love you.
Bacala: You know, Quasimodo predicted all this.
Tony: Who did what?

Re: Mention of an alternative ending existing and other good

a few months ago, i posted a link to an alternative ending on TVBLOGGER. oddly though, after what i persume to be many vists from CHASE LOUNGE members, the site blocked entry to the article. after thinking this was one of the more interesting theories, i actually thought the mysterious shutdown added some creedance to it. maybe not though since i never saw or heard about it again. i do enjoy reading it though so for those who missed it::

HBO Source Confirms Alternate 'Sopranos' Ending

Rumors have been floating around about an alternate Sopranos ending weeks before the series finale ever aired — and according to a source at HBO who worked on the show, the rumors are true.

The source, who wishes to remain anonymous and spoke to TV Blogger exclusively, claims that there was indeed another ending planned, comprising of the same scenes in a different sequence, with a minor alterations.

In the alternate ending the planned sit down at Phil's house was intended to be a hit on Tony, stopped only because Little Carmine was the FBI snitch. Phil’s murder preceded the death of Bobby and shooting of Sil.

Tony’s flight marked the end of the war and the series.

In ‘Second Coming’
we witness Tony curb-stomp Coco, Little Carmine convince him that he needs to apologize and the two go for a sit down at Phil's house. Upon their arrival, Butchie comes to the door and informs them there’s been a change of plans and the sit down is cancelled.

When Little Carmine and Tony are walking away, Phil screams at them from the window. But he isn't just berating Tony, he's yelling at Little Carmine too. Little Carmine asks Phil what happened and Phil responds that "Cooler heads prevailed."

Despite the fact the scene is exactly the same, Phil’s statement refers to the abortion of the planned hit, abandoned because New York learned of Little Carmine being the FBI informant.

After Phil rejects Tony's peace plea, the Soprano crew muscles up (straight to the mattress), leading to Phil’s death in the parking lot. The onslaught against the Jersey crew, most notably Bobby’s murder and the attack on Sil, is not a pre-emptive strike but retaliation to Phil’s murder.

Out manned by the New York families, Tony is forced to go into hiding. The scenes which show Tony taking care of personal affairs are rearranged to represent his permanent flight. The final scene at the diner ends the same way; only the Sopranos are on the lam in a “Last Supper” of sorts.

Considering the facts, the evidence supports the source’s claim. Phil passes on a perfect opportunity to kill Tony. Instead of inviting the defenseless boss of New Jersey into his house, he turns him away. Why abandon the planned hit, only to immediately go to war against the Jersey family?

The death of Phil being the trigger for blood shed also fits. Rather than mark victory for the Soprano crew, his murder is their demise. With Bobby's death and Sil's coma, the image of Tony falling asleep holding the assault rifle to his chest represents Jersey’s defeat.

Little Carmine being the FBI informant also makes more sense, considering how minor of a character Carlo was. How much does the audience really know about Carlo? How much of a threat is he to Tony? The reason the mob operates in a hierarchy is to create a layer between the boss and everyone else. Realistically speaking, a medium-level Lieutenant flipping wouldn't damage Tony much at all.

Accepting the notion that Tony is on the lam, the final scene carries much greater weight, providing less room for speculation. With a bounty on Tony’s head, each patron in the diner is a genuine threat. His fate is legitimately in question and everything that makes the final scene so dramatic — the music, camera work and abrupt ending — falls into place.

HBO representatives declined comment on the content of this article. The source was not aware of what the decision making process was and did not know whether a final cut of the alternate ending exists.

Keywords: The Sopranos, Ending, Alternate Ending, Spoilers, Final Season, Series Finale, Season Finale

Return to “Episode 6.21: Made in America”