Re: Analysis: "It's All There": How David Chase killed Tony

I've never wanted to join the debate because I don't want anyone to think I am being confrontational at all. However, I rewatched Made In America this morning (it's probably the one episode of any tv series ever that I've watched the most). I also read this entire thread again which I have done numerous times.

I respect everyone's opinion and feel that everyone is entitled to his/her own. That is what makes this show so amazing. Years later it is still be discussed and analyzed.

With that being said, I, for the life of me as hard as I try, cannot understand how anyone can truly believe that Tony does not die in the final scene. I'm sorry. Again, I'm not being confrontational whatsoever. My point is that every single time I watch the series, especially the final episode, I am made more and more aware of the clues leading up to Tony's death. I won't go on and on about this since it's been discussed so much. I just wanted to share my two cents in saying that I've just always felt that there is barely any argument that Tony lives. Cut to silent black abruptly for ten seconds for what? To show life goes on? A typical fade to black with Meadow arriving and the family eating together would be so much more successful in giving this impression.

Tony always having to look over his back? This is established early in the series. It's common sense in any mafia film/show. Again... why the abrupt cut to black to establish that point? Tony didn't even look suspicious in the final scene. Yes, he looks at MOG walk by. So what? We would all look at someone briefly if they came into our field of vision. If he was really suspicious as some seem to think, he would have been much more cautious. I think the point is that Tony wasn't suspicious enough. He was too lost, for once, with his actual family in a nice moment to even realize he is never off the hook. The entire series is founded on the conflict of Tony balancing his two families. For once, Tony lets his guard down while spending time with his actual family and in the end, the two families are finally merged as they bare witness to his murder.

I could go on and on, but I'm not trying to stir anything up. I respect you all greatly and I watch the series time and time again open-minded literally trying to see clues implying Tony lives, but a hard as I look, I just can't find any that aren't easily refuted.

Thanks for explaining your perspective, BobbyBacala, and especially for the extremely polite, respectful way you expressed it. If only everyone who had weighed in on this issue was similarly respectful, there would have been a lot less grief for me over the years as a moderator/administrator.:icon_smile:
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

I am a day late and a dollar short to say the least, but I do believe that Tony died. I'm not looking at complicated explanations.

Phil Leotardo, a BOSS, was shot in front of his wife and grandkids. However anyone felt about business issues, this breach of protocol had to be met with equal punishment upon Tony. Tony himself re-assured Carmella: "they never touch the families." Tony broke with that covenant. He must pay.

Tony gets shot just in time for the whole family to witness it. I won't repeat the details, but the entire scene is filmed as if there is a threat hiding somewhere in the restaurant.

Paulie transferred to New York.

The cat is Adriana's anger at Christofuh. When she imagined herself driving to California, alone, when instead she was sobbing, being driven to her death by Silvio, she knew that Christofuh had surrendered her to the mob as a rat. Christofuh must be unreachable in the pits of hell, she's in cat heaven or something. She's staring the bastard down, in photographs, whipping her tail. She is a jinx alright, and will bring on more bad luck - in the form of a tiger staring down Tony's table at Holsten's.

BobbyBacala wrote:I've never wanted to join the debate because I don't want anyone to think I am being confrontational at all. However, I rewatched Made In America this morning (it's probably the one episode of any tv series ever that I've watched the most). I also read this entire thread again which I have done numerous times.

I respect everyone's opinion and feel that everyone is entitled to his/her own. That is what makes this show so amazing. Years later it is still be discussed and analyzed.

With that being said, I, for the life of me as hard as I try, cannot understand how anyone can truly believe that Tony does not die in the final scene. I'm sorry. Again, I'm not being confrontational whatsoever. My point is that every single time I watch the series, especially the final episode, I am made more and more aware of the clues leading up to Tony's death. I won't go on and on about this since it's been discussed so much. I just wanted to share my two cents in saying that I've just always felt that there is barely any argument that Tony lives. Cut to silent black abruptly for ten seconds for what? To show life goes on? A typical fade to black with Meadow arriving and the family eating together would be so much more successful in giving this impression.

Tony always having to look over his back? This is established early in the series. It's common sense in any mafia film/show. Again... why the abrupt cut to black to establish that point? Tony didn't even look suspicious in the final scene. Yes, he looks at MOG walk by. So what? We would all look at someone briefly if they came into our field of vision. If he was really suspicious as some seem to think, he would have been much more cautious. I think the point is that Tony wasn't suspicious enough. He was too lost, for once, with his actual family in a nice moment to even realize he is never off the hook. The entire series is founded on the conflict of Tony balancing his two families. For once, Tony lets his guard down while spending time with his actual family and in the end, the two families are finally merged as they bare witness to his murder.

I could go on and on, but I'm not trying to stir anything up. I respect you all greatly and I watch the series time and time again open-minded literally trying to see clues implying Tony lives, but a hard as I look, I just can't find any that aren't easily refuted.
Could not agree more, Baccala.

Tony died at Holsten's. The fear of losing his family that brought him to tears in the Pilot was finally realized as he was killed in front of them, bringing the saga full circle.

Anyone who doesn't come to the conclusion that Tony was killed at Holstens, with all the foreshadowing and symbolism that Chase clubbed us over the head with in the final season, starting with the "Seven Souls" montage through the Blue Comet flashback of "You probably don't hear it when it happens"......well, in my opinion, that person will never be persuaded, short of Chase coming out and saying so, or some alternate filming of the ending where Tony ends up face down in the onion rings.

Which is fine.

Happy 5th Anniversary to the Best Television Show ever made. :icon_cool:

tinytears wrote:Could not agree more, Baccala.

Tony died at Holsten's. The fear of losing his family that brought him to tears in the Pilot was finally realized as he was killed in front of them, bringing the saga full circle.

Anyone who doesn't come to the conclusion that Tony was killed at Holstens, with all the foreshadowing and symbolism that Chase clubbed us over the head with in the final season, starting with the "Seven Souls" montage through the Blue Comet flashback of "You probably don't hear it when it happens"......well, in my opinion, that person will never be persuaded, short of Chase coming out and saying so, or some alternate filming of the ending where Tony ends up face down in the onion rings.

Which is fine.

Happy 5th Anniversary to the Best Television Show ever made. :icon_cool:
Thank you! I'm glad you agree. Well said.

Return to “Episode 6.21: Made in America”