Re: Analysis: "It's All There": How David Chase killed Tony

very nice work. 1 question i thought of, do u think its possible that Junior shot Tony on purpose, since u mentioned how Junior killed Tony just around the same time Eugiene inherited all his money, perhaps that money paid off Junior to shoot Tony. Junior made a strange comment to Bobby at the hospital about things being much higher than he can imagine, and maybe Junior was ultimately sore with Tony in the end for taking away his power.

If it was Chase's intention to have Tony "whacked" or "86ed" then who had him killed is probably less important than him being killed. The suggestion might be that it is nothing more than the likely fate for a mafia don - he who lives by the sword will eventually die by the sword - so to speak. Perhaps gun is more appropriate than sword in this case.

But there have been enough clues to inform the viewer who was behind Tony's demise.

There are a lot of good theories around which detail what actually happened to Tony Soprano that night at Holsten's. The poster Richie Aprile's brilliant dissertation emphasised how Tony was killed (if of course we assume that he was killed).

However check out this link;

http://www.mikecole.org/writing/made-in-america/

It does a very good job at explaining who was probably behind the hit and if you watch the last few episodes again it does become quite obvious.

Let us know what you think.

Wow, that was brilliant. I'm ashamed to admit that I might not be as perceptive as I once thought I was.

It was also disturbing. I never liked AJ's or Carmela's characters, but the fact that they're killed in front of Meadow kind of bugs me. Meadow was a character I came to love by the end of the third season. Tony is, of course, my favorite character but let's face it he dug his own grave.

So my only problem with it is that supposedly Patsy didn't want Meadow harmed but seeing her family murdered would undoubtedly do immeasurable harm to her, mentally. Also, why kill the rest of the family if Tony isn't going to see it? You think they'd do something like that as a punishment for Tony, something for him to witness, even if it is just for a brief moment before his own demise.

I'm not arguing with that great piece as they really seem to lay it all out in an irrefutable manner and I have no doubt that it really happened that way, but the way it was carried out kind of blunders the original intentions (Tony's punishment, Meadow's well being).

I'm not sure that Chase intended to kill Carmella and AJ off as well. However there was that anagram that did the rounds soon after the episode was screened around members only guy and the name of the amateur actor who played him that eerily spelt out that scenario.

As far as Meadow and Patsy is concerned, he could always play the supportive father-in-law. If she recovered then he has a daughter, otherwise she is collateral damage and Jason can find another bride.

I suspect the latter case would have been likelier.

It does sound untidy, but is it meant to be tidy?

conkom wrote:I'm not sure that Chase intended to kill Carmella and AJ off as well. However there was that anagram that did the rounds soon after the episode was screened around members only guy and the name of the amateur actor who played him that eerily spelt out that scenario.

I was not aware...here it is: http://alessonaday.wordpress.com/2007/06/15/sopranos-finale-analysis-of-final-scene/

I don't know why I didn't sort through all of the discussions 5 years ago. I just didn't. I just rewatched season 4 a week ago and got curious about one of that season's episodes and it brought me here. I honestly took the first explanation told to me as being most likely, that we the audience got whacked. Sounded artsy fartsy enough...lol. I feel silly for just accepting that. It was obvious the whole time that at the very least, Tony was killed. And it makes perfect sense who would have had it done. Goes all the way back to the first season with the Parisis.

As far as Meadow and Patsy is concerned, he could always play the supportive father-in-law. If she recovered then he has a daughter, otherwise she is collateral damage and Jason can find another bride.

Well, better to be emotionally traumatized than have your head blown off.

I suspect the latter case would have been likelier.

It does sound untidy, but is it meant to be tidy?

Relationships just don't seem to last as long as they used to, anyway.

I don't know, the more I'm reading and thinking about it, I'm starting to think that all 3 got killed for a couple other reasons. First, Patsy lost his twin brother. This isn't your typical sibling relationship and he made mention of that in season 2, I believe. Maybe NY went through him to order the hit and Patsy threw in a little extra incentive to take out the wife and son. Phil's murder was horrible, but I think even the cold blooded NY crew would have understood that it was an accident.

Then again, there was that story the FBI Agent told Tony about Phil attempting to set up that rape and beating (murder?) of the undercover or informant. So obviously NY is depicted as having a bit more of a stronger stomach when it comes to such things. That and the Coco thing with Meadow. That was unexpected, I know we watch these characters beat and kill each other like crazy but to hit on another mob guy's daughter? Over the line. I just reread that and realized how ridiculous that sounds. Kill, just don't hit on that chick. Hilarious.

I've officially been desensitized.

In the 7 Souls sequence at the beginning of Members Only ( 1st episode of season 6) Carmella dreams of being in the spec house talking to Adriana who asks her who she expects to live in it. Her reply was "a family". When Carmella wakes from that dream William Burroughs recites the final soul - the remains. Chase might be signaling here that the family might be none other than Tony, Carmella and AJ (sans Meadow - the guardian angel).

It may be construed that Carmella's dream of the spec house and her talking to Adriana (who her subconscious was probably telling her was dead) that the 'a family' was her own. They will be moving in or moving on when it's complete. The last soul is described as 'the remains'.

Watch the whole 7 souls sequence again and you can see Chase was mapping out certain characters fates for the ultimate season.

Return to “Episode 6.21: Made in America”