What Happens When Screen Goes Black?

Total votes: 0

Re: Your Vote - What Happens When Screen Goes Black?

Hmmm I think something is up with Carlo as well

1. Turning state witness just cause your son gets pinched with a little X? I don't buy it, would Carlo give up his whole lifestyle to go into witness protection just over some x? Even Meadow senses there's something wrong when they say Jackie Jr. died because of a X-deal gone wrong. We don't belive you Carlo.

2. The disguisted face on Carlo as Tony says he won't visit Syl at the hospital. This is followed directly by the scene where Butchie talks to Phil on the phone. Is that a coincidence or is this a hint that just like Butchie & co. Carlo, Benny and the rest of the bunch felt the same way about their boss at that point?

Btw, Carlo was the Don of a New Jersey mob familiy in Running Scared :icon_wink:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't Stop....:eek::confused: :icon_cry:

Actually, most if not all of the hits on bosses in recent times have come from within the family.

Crazy Joe Gallo's hit on Joe Colombo, and Colombo's people returning the favor on Gallo. Everyone involved was in the Profaci/Colombo family.

Carmine "the cigar" Galante was hit by Sonny Indelicato, a Bonanno rival.

And, of course, John Gotti taking out Big Paul Castellano to take control of the Gambinos.

The fallout begins...Chase can no longer hide the intended ending...
Fans of "The Sopranos" are seizing on clues suggesting the controversial blackout which abruptly ended the TV mob drama meant that Tony Soprano was rubbed out, and HBO said on Thursday they may be on to something.

One clue in particular, a flashback in the penultimate episode to a conversation between Tony and his brother-in-law about death, gained credence as an HBO spokesman called it a "legitimate" hint and confirmed that series creator David Chase had a definite ending in mind.
The biggest hint, according to a consensus taking shape on the Web, is a scene from an earlier episode in which Tony and his brother-in-law, Bobby Bacala, muse about what it feels like to die.

"At the end, you probably don't hear anything, everything just goes black," Bobby says while they sit fishing in a small boat on a lake.

That scene is recalled briefly in a flashback played at the end of the penultimate "Sopranos" episode, as Tony is lying in the darkened room of a safehouse clutching a machine gun to his chest in the midst of a mob war.

"I think that is one of the most legitimate things to look at," Schaffer said when asked about theories that the Bobby Bacala flashback was meant to foreshadow Tony's death.

Moreover, he said the man in the "Members Only" jacket could be interpreted as a symbolic reference to membership in the mob. "Members Only" also was the title of the episode in which Tony's demented Uncle Junior shoots him in the gut.
REUTERS

ballermann wrote:i voted other...either he gets popped or not, however the sopranos will live on and their genes will go from generation to generation until one day ...whatever, paradise or no more death or whatever.
i think though he gets popped, still cant believe the car behind meadow was not phils wife working on evening out the tab.
Well it would be pretty good timing for the guy to pop tony on the way out of th bathroom, walk right out the front door into that SUV that passed behind meadow waiting at that corner. Hop in and leave before people in the diner stopped screaming.

some stuff from a nyt article:

Quentin Schaffer, HBO’s chief corporate spokesman, said yesterday that Mr. Chase had wanted an even longer duration of blackness at the show’s conclusion. Mr. Chase had wanted as much as 30 seconds of blackness but was talked out of that by HBO executives, Mr. Schaffer said.
The revelation that Mr. Chase had wanted the blackness to extend far longer would seem to further the theory that one of the apparently menacing forces gathering in the restaurant stepped up and turned Tony’s lights out.

Undoubtedly, a longer stretch of darkness would also have fed the now-growing speculation that the final scene was intended to suggest that Tony was about to experience something his late brother-in-law, Bobby Bacala, had prophesized in the very first episode this season: in a scene at Bobby’s lake house, he had speculated about what happens when you die — or get whacked, in “Sopranos” terms.

The scene was reprised in the show’s second-to-last episode, though many of the blog speculators have been getting it wrong when claiming Bobby said that at the moment of death “everything just goes to black.”

Mr. Schaffer said that HBO’s own viewing of the scene revealed Bobby’s exact quote to be “You probably don’t ever hear it when it happens, right?”

That does not undercut the overall conclusion that Mr. Chase was hinting at Tony’s fate with that final scene, which comes just as a bell rings as the restaurant’s door opens for his daughter and the background song “Don’t Stop Believin’ ” hits the words “don’t stop.”

Mr. Schaffer said: “David Chase wanted that black screen moment to be really long. It’s certainly plausible to see that as a reference to death.”

seems to be only a little bit useful but thought it was interesting to post it.

Found this article about the actor who plays Melfis' shrink talks about the ending;

The Blackout of '07
As theories continue to fly about the ending of the 'Sopranos,' Melfi's shrink has gone on record with his analysis. Peter Bogdanovich, who plays Dr. Elliot Kupferberg, told The New York Observer he was shocked by the ending. "It ends at that moment because that's his life," said Mr. Bogdanovich. "He's anxious about getting blown away, the F.B.I. is going to indict him, Syl is going to die, everything is insecure and tense. It kept going, and the insert shots kept making you feel it was the last thing he was going to do. Endings, endings, endings. The little things in life are the last thing you are going to do. In fact, that's his life."

Bogdanovich, who directed 'The Last Picture Show,' among others, summed up his take on the blackout: "You don't know what you're waiting for. It's the perfect use of suspense. You are trapped, not wanting anything to happen, but wanting something to happen. It's very vicious. You're left with any number of imaginings. What the f**k happened? Which shows you're bloodthirsty also." (photo: Mark Sullivan/WireImage.com)

SilvioMancini - your last two posts really belong in the "Finding Meaning" thread. This thread is meant to simply record what people think happened. Any and all discussion or further information should probably be kept and posted over there just to keep that together for discussion purposes (though I admit I have not been keeping up with this thread as I should so I recognize there are other posts taking the conversation on a tangent a bit.) If you want to repost those over there, I'll delete these posts. Thanks. :smile:
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Return to “Episode 6.21: Made in America”