Some new articles re use of "Don't Stop Believing"

I will probably merge this topic to the "finding meaning in the ending" thread as they will likely end up overlapping substantially. But there are some new revelations about the acquisition of the rights to the song "Don't Stop Believin'".

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/journey%20rocker%20kept%20sopranos%20boss%20waiting_1033922

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/12/tv.sopranos.thatsong.ap/

Perry is a huge Sopranos fan and feared his 1981 rock anthem would be remembered as the soundtrack to the death of James Gandolfini's character Tony Soprano - until Chase assured him that wouldn't be the case. Perry says, "The request came in a few weeks ago and it wasn't until Thursday that it got approval, because I was concerned. "I was not excited about (the possibility of) the Soprano family being whacked to Don't Stop Believin'. Unless I know what happens - and I will swear to secrecy - I can't in good conscience feel good about its use." And Perry was so true to his word, he didn't even tell his family the song featured in the finale.
So Steve Perry's consent was last to come in, and it was down to the wire.

Question: Do you think cryptic, mysterious David Chase would actually tell him a definite answer on whether Tony got whacked? (I don't.) But I'm LMAO at how he must have told him something true but ultimately something as facially mundane and unresolved as "The family is just going to sit down and eat onion rings.":icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin: Wonder what Perry thinks now.

This further explains why the camera focussed in several times on alternative songs. Had the Journey songwriters not agreed to the use, we'd have gotten a different song and, consequently, a different meaning from the musical subtext. That's confirmed by this excerpt from another piece on the selection of the song:

Chase even had a bit of fun in the end, having Tony skip past a few other tunes whose titles would have made for much easier tidying up (Heart's "Who Will You Run To" and Tony Bennett's "I've Gotta Be Me"/"A Lonely Place").

That's further proof that hitting just the right tone with just the right song in your season finale is a lot harder than it looks, according to music supervisor Tricia Halloran ("Men in Trees"). "You need a song that wraps up your season and helps define the idea of the show," said Halloran, who 'fessed up to being turned down once when she asked Journey for permission to use "Believin' " in a burger commercial.

"And even after the music supervisor has seen the script, which might have some suggestions from the writers, the first question is, 'Does it fit the writer's palette of music that has been used on the show?' and then, 'Can you get clearance?' I'm sure Journey don't approve all TV requests, but it's a heritage song and they'd be crazy to turn down 'The Sopranos.' "

One thing is for sure: Because rights requests routinely do get turned down, anyone working in TV or film has to have one, or more, backups just in case their ideal track doesn't get cleared. "For 'The Sopranos,' it was perfect," she said. "They tried to do something Tony would love, and it says, 'We're family, we're here, and nothing will get us down.' But I'm sure they had a few other songs just in case it didn't work out."

So just be glad Tony didn't stop on one of the other choices, because you might be walking around singing Sawyer Brown's "My Baby Drives a Truck" or T. Graham Brown's "Rock It, Billy" for the next week.
I find the last minute nature of everything particularly interesting, and it explains this quote from Chase in an interview from France a few days back. He said he was asked by two French guys if he was finished with the work, and he said, "I have two more edits to do." He then remembered that he HAD done them and just couldn't get used to the feeling of being finished.

The fact that he was having to complete editing from France goes along with the last minute use of the song, since I'm sure principle editing was completed before he ever left the country.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Re: Some new articles re use of "Don't Stop Believing"

With all the precedent of great music over the years, we close out with....What? .....Journey???....Spandex???.....Well, T was/is always a classic rock guy...One of the best incosiquential scences was seeing Tony singing along with Steely Dan in the car. And, after reading the DC interview about chosing "Don't Stop" and re playing that last scene, I see that it works. However, it's been 3 days now, and I can't get this stupid tune out of my head. Please make it stop!!!

Thanks Chase:icon_eek:

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Question: Do you think cryptic, mysterious David Chase would actually tell him a definite answer on whether Tony got whacked? (I don't.) But I'm LMAO at how he must have told him something true but ultimately something as facially mundane and unresolved as "The family is just going to sit down and eat onion rings.":icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin: Wonder what Perry thinks now.

I can imagine Chase saying, "All I can tell you is we don't see Tony get killed."

I happen to like Journey. Today I listened again to THE song and found it so perfect. "Some may win, some may lose," "Working hard to get my fill, everybody wants a thrill."

Regarding the use of this song:

On Monday - June 11th, 2007 - Journey's Greatest Hits (first released in 1988) suddenly jumped to #86 on Amazon.com's Top 100 Bestsellers in Music.

On Tuesday, June 12th, it climbed to #54.

On Wednesday, June 13th, it reached #45.

It's fair to assume the use of that song freaked everybody out, and many of us couldn't get it out of our heads the day after.

JawsOfJosh wrote:Regarding the use of this song:

On Monday - June 11th, 2007 - Journey's Greatest Hits (first released in 1988) suddenly jumped to #86 on Amazon.com's Top 100 Bestsellers in Music.

On Tuesday, June 12th, it climbed to #54.

On Wednesday, June 13th, it reached #45.

It's fair to assume the use of that song freaked everybody out, and many of us couldn't get it out of our heads the day after.

I went out an bought it. I was shocked that I didn't already have it. For some reason I always get these guys mixed up with Foreigner.

IMHO, I Gotta Be Me would have been a MUCH more appropriate "swan song" for The Sopranos.

Lyrics:
Whether I'm right or whether I'm wrong
Whether I find a place in this world or never belong
I gotta be me, I've gotta be me
What else can I be but what I am

I want to live, not merely survive
And I won't give up this dream
Of life that keeps me alive
I gotta be me, I gotta be me
The dream that I see makes me what I am

That far-away prize, a world of success
Is waiting for me if I heed the call
I won't settle down, won't settle for less
As long as there's a chance that I can have it all

I'll go it alone, that's how it must be
I can't be right for somebody else
If I'm not right for me
I gotta be free, I've gotta be free
Daring to try, to do it or die
I've gotta be me

I'll go it alone, that's how it must be
I can't be right for somebody else
If I'm not right for me
I gotta be free, I just gotta be free
Daring to try, to do it or die
I gotta be me
bobC
---

some will win, some will lose,
some were born to sing the blues,
the movie never ends,
it goes on and on and on and on........

A better closing song would've been Monster Mash, but I won't elaborate on my esoteric reasoning. Other alternatives:

The Great Gig In The Sky - Pink Floyd
(Who Knows) Where Or When - Frank Sinatra
The Sound Of Silence - Paul Simon
Blackout - David Bowie
Why Try To Change Me Now? - Sinatra
Paranoia Blues - Paul Simon
What's Going On? - Marvin Gaye
You Haven't Done Nothin' - Stevie Wonder
Johnny Angel - Shelley Fabares
Members Only - Bobby Blue Bland
You Never Hear It Coming - Bobby Baccala And The Cryptkicker Five

Return to “Episode 6.21: Made in America”