How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Re: Episode 6.21: Made in America - Grades and General Revie

EdaMaria wrote:apologies in advance if this has been mentioned already (I've tried to go through all the posts, but there's chance I inadvertently missed a few given the volume here)

some posts, here and on other boards, note that there were three bells heard in the last scene, helping give credence to the idea that '3s' had signifcant symbolic value.
That's entirely possible, though when it comes to the bells themselves I heard five (another number that's been referenced by some as possibly significant - i.e. the No. 5 elevator; Kevin Finnerty's fall to fifth floor; No. 5 Iraqi road mentioned in program AJ watches in 'second coming')

the bell seems to ring when someone comes in the door. it rings for Tony/man in USA cap/Carmela/Members Only man (with AJ behind)/and presumably Meadow

but it doesn't ring for the woman with long hair. the door also swings open in the shot of the two black men, and doesn't ring. oversight or intentional?

this is probably just more overanalysis for people to criticize - but I'm throwing it out there on off chance anyone else noticed this and has a theory about it (i have some ideas floating around but nothing clear enough to share)

also, this is a bit out of left field i admit, but i was randomly thumbing through The Sopranos special edition magazine/book that came out a month or so ago (it's just something I picked up on the fly. it's not at all something I consider infused with meaning and/or 'clues' to the show)

that said, I open up to a page that has picture of Meadow's room. there's a mask on the wall of an orange tiger. it immediately reminded me of the tiger painted on the mural at Holsten's behind Tony.

I keep mulling Meadow's role in the last scene . she was in the background most of the season and then has this odd 'almost not there' role in last scene.

It makes sense ,I suppose, that if Tony indeed died when screen went black that she would not be at the table. Meadow is depicted as the 'guardian angel' in the seven souls montage. shortly thereafter her voice brings Tony back from his coma. In 'College,' it's Meadow's presence that prevents Freddie the rat from shooting Tony - there very well may be more examples ..

anyway, just more potential fodder for the speculation about the tiger/the orange cat, Meadow-Tony, etc.

If i had the energy I'd try to attempt a post something on the status of cats in Egypt (a la Seven souls) and mull about the possible connections. the cat, the relatively recent number of references to the sun and Eygyptian beliefs are a potential topic to explore, IMHO.

speaaking of the sun, i thought there was a spoiler out there from deadwood stage about a casting call going out for someone to play a mental hosptial patient who could play 'here comes the sun' on guitar? all or almost all of those casting call spoilers turned out to be accurate, so interesting that this guitar playing patient never showed up.

chase said once that he wanted to use a beatles tune but it was too costly - maybe that's what happened

Apparently no one believes the same thing that you and I noticed. I have posted about it several time. The song "The Three Bells" never ended. But I do think it ended in the final shot. You are correct that the bell does not ring for some people coming into the shop, while it does ring when others enter.

In the song the third bell rings for the death of "Jimmy". Bell one was for birth, bell two was for marriage, bell three was for death.

JoeyBagadonuts wrote:My take on that scene was that it was the presence of witnesses, from the adjoining motel room, that stopped Freddie, not Meadow. At least as I remember it. :icon_question:

oh yeah i forgot to respond to this earlier- yes my memory was that it was the other witnesses that the camera rested on for a bit to let us know that was the idea, as well as Meadow's presence too-- but mainly the strangers.

RefLib wrote:Apparently no one believes the same thing that you and I noticed. I have posted about it several time. The song "The Three Bells" never ended. But I do think it ended in the final shot. You are correct that the bell does not ring for some people coming into the shop, while it does ring when others enter.

In the song the third bell rings for the death of "Jimmy". Bell one was for birth, bell two was for marriage, bell three was for death.

yes RefLib you are right, and i'm not sure why others didn't post more on it- maybe because people are just dropping out now. i didn't understand how come eople didn't get this when its so plain when you re-watch it a million times like most of us did!

EdaMaria wrote:apologies in advance if this has been mentioned already (I've tried to go through all the posts, but there's chance I inadvertently missed a few given the volume here)

some posts, here and on other boards, note that there were three bells heard in the last scene, helping give credence to the idea that '3s' had signifcant symbolic value.
That's entirely possible, though when it comes to the bells themselves I heard five (another number that's been referenced by some as possibly significant - i.e. the No. 5 elevator; Kevin Finnerty's fall to fifth floor; No. 5 Iraqi road mentioned in program AJ watches in 'second coming')

the bell seems to ring when someone comes in the door. it rings for Tony/man in USA cap/Carmela/Members Only man (with AJ behind)/and presumably Meadow

but it doesn't ring for the woman with long hair. the door also swings open in the shot of the two black men, and doesn't ring. oversight or intentional?

this is probably just more overanalysis for people to criticize - but I'm throwing it out there on off chance anyone else noticed this and has a theory about it (i have some ideas floating around but nothing clear enough to share)

also, this is a bit out of left field i admit, but i was randomly thumbing through The Sopranos special edition magazine/book that came out a month or so ago (it's just something I picked up on the fly. it's not at all something I consider infused with meaning and/or 'clues' to the show)

that said, I open up to a page that has picture of Meadow's room. there's a mask on the wall of an orange tiger. it immediately reminded me of the tiger painted on the mural at Holsten's behind Tony.

I keep mulling Meadow's role in the last scene . she was in the background most of the season and then has this odd 'almost not there' role in last scene.

It makes sense ,I suppose, that if Tony indeed died when screen went black that she would not be at the table. Meadow is depicted as the 'guardian angel' in the seven souls montage. shortly thereafter her voice brings Tony back from his coma. In 'College,' it's Meadow's presence that prevents Freddie the rat from shooting Tony - there very well may be more examples ..

anyway, just more potential fodder for the speculation about the tiger/the orange cat, Meadow-Tony, etc.

If i had the energy I'd try to attempt a post something on the status of cats in Egypt (a la Seven souls) and mull about the possible connections. the cat, the relatively recent number of references to the sun and Eygyptian beliefs are a potential topic to explore, IMHO.

speaaking of the sun, i thought there was a spoiler out there from deadwood stage about a casting call going out for someone to play a mental hosptial patient who could play 'here comes the sun' on guitar? all or almost all of those casting call spoilers turned out to be accurate, so interesting that this guitar playing patient never showed up.

chase said once that he wanted to use a beatles tune but it was too costly - maybe that's what happened

EdaMaria- i hope you are still posting- i definitely want to hear more about your cat and seven souls research. i have tried to get responses in the past from some posters who really delved deep into this- look last year during 6A, but they seemed to have fallen away. i think these are really rich areas to explore, and i truly hope that when some of the edge wears off for people concerned about the ending, or when many of us catch up with our long-neglected worklife, etc., more people will come back and pick up these threads.

First Viewing

Hi guys

I've read all the threads of the previous episodes with a keen enthusiasm, but have left off from posting until I could read the MIA thread, as I didn't want anything giving away.

As you've probably guessed, I live in Merry Old England, and as such, not only do I put a 'u' in words like 'colour' and 'favour', but last night was the first showing of MIA.

I look forward to reading what you all thought of it.

Unfortunately the BBC published a story in the summer about all you American folk flooding the TV station with phone calls tinking there was a power cut at the end of the episode, and by doing so they gave away the ending :(

But, I've been good and haven't looked at anything else, so most of last nights episode was a shock/surprise.

For a minute I thought Phil was going to get away with it, I was very pleased to see him go!

The ending wasn't as I expected though. I knew about the cut to black, but I thought that we'd be able to see someone emerge from the toilets (or bathroom, to throw in an Americanism for you!) with a gun. There was nothing to suggest that any of the people in the restaurant were there to kill Tony, but I suppose by doing this it gives everyone a sense of the paranoia that Tony must've been feeling. NY could have sent anyone to kill him, he had to be suspicious of everyone. We have the luxury of generally being told who is the killer before hand, and I think this ending really showed what must have gone through the minds of all of the NJ guys during the war.

My personal feeling is that Tony didn't die. I doubt anyone even had a shot at him. Or maybe that's just me hoping!

Anyway, I look forward to reading all of your posts and hopefully being able to contribute to the discussions, albeit so far after the series for you guys that I imagine you're all bored of it now!

Rich

Re: First Viewing

richjcrouch wrote:Hi guys

I've read all the threads of the previous episodes with a keen enthusiasm, but have left off from posting until I could read the MIA thread, as I didn't want anything giving away.

As you've probably guessed, I live in Merry Old England, and as such, not only do I put a 'u' in words like 'colour' and 'favour', but last night was the first showing of MIA.

I look forward to reading what you all thought of it.

Unfortunately the BBC published a story in the summer about all you American folk flooding the TV station with phone calls tinking there was a power cut at the end of the episode, and by doing so they gave away the ending :(

But, I've been good and haven't looked at anything else, so most of last nights episode was a shock/surprise.

For a minute I thought Phil was going to get away with it, I was very pleased to see him go!

The ending wasn't as I expected though. I knew about the cut to black, but I thought that we'd be able to see someone emerge from the toilets (or bathroom, to throw in an Americanism for you!) with a gun. There was nothing to suggest that any of the people in the restaurant were there to kill Tony, but I suppose by doing this it gives everyone a sense of the paranoia that Tony must've been feeling. NY could have sent anyone to kill him, he had to be suspicious of everyone. We have the luxury of generally being told who is the killer before hand, and I think this ending really showed what must have gone through the minds of all of the NJ guys during the war.

My personal feeling is that Tony didn't die. I doubt anyone even had a shot at him. Or maybe that's just me hoping!

Anyway, I look forward to reading all of your posts and hopefully being able to contribute to the discussions, albeit so far after the series for you guys that I imagine you're all bored of it now!

Rich
Hi Rich and welcome to the forums. Just so you know, I've merged your initial reaction thread to the proper place for that. Please do Keep posting in the various threads we have here and feel free to join in the discussion - there is a lot of it, to be sure. :smile:
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Hi

Thanks for the welcome, it does seem a little quieter around here than I imagine it was when the series was being shown in the states.

I blame English TV for not showing the series at the same time as it was shown in America!

I do love to look for extra symbolism in the Sopranos, and I think DC has a tendency to downplay his own work. I think he likes the thought of the fans working stuff out for themselves!

I look forward to joining in a few more debates!

Holsten's only has a one-stall bathroom!

i just now called Holsten's in New Jersey to confirm what sort of bathroom they actually have there. The guy who works there that answered the phone told me it only has one stall, and if anyone needs to use the bathroom, they have to keep an eye on it and wait their turn outside of it. MOG could have been glancing over there to keep watch on it for when it was available after all that coffee he drank! :icon_biggrin:

Return to “Episode 6.21: Made in America”