How about that ending?

It's been a while since the end of an episode gave me chills, but the end of The Second Coming did just that.

The way the particular scene is slowly shot with disturbing quiet and then the haunting music. I don't like to give credit when it is not due and I hate giving actors and Chase the benefit of the doubt, but the way Tony walked through those doors and down the corridor was fantastic. It makes me wonder how many takes it takes to get those subtleties across, or if we're even supposed to notice. Also, I'm not exactly sure what language the song is in at the end but that just adds to the uneasiness since it is not a dialect we are used to. It was my favorite part of the episode right behind Tony's reaction when he walks outside ("What the %#&*, AJ!?").

Should I mention that AJ just comes out of the other hall to meet Tony? Was he aware that his dad showed up? I don't think so. And even though I bring it up, I don't think it should be looked into that much - just theatrics in my opinion. Worth mentioning, though.

-Delvis-

Re: How about that ending?

Yes, the ending was spectacular- basically the encounter of the depressed father and the depressed son, the inevitable acceptance of the common hereditary illness and the silent understanding of tired Tony towards his son. I dont think AJ was expecting his dad.

The song is in sicilian dialect, which is different than the northern or common italian, so to say. I am not 100% sure on the name of the song, but I ll get back to you once I figure it out in the credits. Definitely fitting - I came into tears.

The song is called "Ninna Ninna"according to HBO.com but I can't find a definite answer as to who sings it. Some people are saying Pia Calamai.

Here is a link if someone wants to buy the track. Edit: Well, it might be smart to confirm it first. I don't want to make anyone lose a dollar. lol.

http://www.smithsonianglobalsound.org/c ... temid=1225

On a side note. I read a little about these Italian lullabies. It's funny how morbid some of them are. Perfect for Livia! Hopefully somebody can get a translation "Ninna Ninna" so we can have something else to obsess over.

Scroll down and check out some of the translated lyrics.

http://journal.oraltradition.org/files/ ... iudice.pdf

Here's the translated lyrics, from the link provided above:

"Rock-a-bye, my suckling
and of bread there’s not a morsel
neither dry, nor cooked
nor much [that is] ground.
The miller has not come
may he be eaten by a wolf
and the wolf and the wolf’s lair
may he be struck by the plague.
The plague is a terrible
thing and up above there is a bride
and down below there is another
one weaves and the other winds.
One makes a little hat of straw
to take to battle
the battle and the small battalion
set fire to Barberino.
Barberino, run, run!
did set fire to those towers,
a tower fell asunder
and the baby fell asleep. "

Actually, the translation provided was not sung in the episode. While HBO has the title of the closing credits song as "Ninna Nanna", this is just an Italian phrase to describe any old folk lullaby. The specific Ninna Nanna in the episode is titled "Ninna Nanna Malandrineddu", and is about a woman singing to her son Anton, urging him to avenge his father.

Return to “Episode 6.19: The Second Coming”