Re: Favorite Quotes from 'The Second Coming'

Melfi: “Do you suppose it (AJ’s suicide attempt) was a cry for help?”

Tony: “Na, I heard him screaming” (or something like that). :redface:

Roars of laughter for this and all the previous quotes. This might go down as one of the funniest and quotable 'Sopranos' episodes, which is amazing considering how depressing the subject matter is and that it was a set-up episode.

dad1153 wrote:Melfi: “Do you suppose it (AJ’s suicide attempt) was a cry for help?”

Tony: “Na, I heard him screaming” (or something like that). :redface:

Roars of laughter for this and all the previous quotes. This might go down as one of the funniest and quotable 'Sopranos' episodes, which is amazing considering how depressing the subject matter is and that it was a set-up episode.
This is why I think Terrence Winter is the king of sneaky humor among the writers...his shows always have numerous hilarious lines, often very dark humor, as well as ample Little Carmine/other mobster malapropisms to chuckle at. I really enjoy his work/episodes, especially upon repeated viewings..

Lawdog wrote:This is why I think Terrence Winter is the king of sneaky humor among the writers...his shows always have numerous hilarious lines, often very dark humor, as well as ample Little Carmine/other mobster malapropisms to chuckle at. I really enjoy his work/episodes, especially upon repeated viewings..
True. I can't remember ever laughing out loud as many times as I did this episode (as opposed to smirking to myself or something). I'm also pretty sure it's the only episode that brought tears to my eyes--it was almost a surprise to find myself getting verklempt when Tony pulls AJ out of the pool. One of the most satisfying episodes in memory.

I seem to remember that line very differently. But agree it was hilarious. I think it went more like:

Melfi: Maybe it was a cry for help?
Tony: He did cry for help. Weren't you listening to what I said? That's how I found him.

It was so funny because it seemed like neither the doctor nor the patient understood what each other were talking about. What chance does therapy have for sucess if neither of them speak the same language?

Return to “Episode 6.19: The Second Coming”