Go Back   The Chase Lounge > Other Sopranos Discussions > The Kitchen Sink

Welcome to The Chase Lounge, a discussion forum dedicated to one of filmed drama’s greatest masterpieces, HBO’s The Sopranos, and its creator, David Chase. As a once-avid participant and lurker at numerous other Sopranos forums, I think you’ll find the commentary and analyses here to be among the most passionate, insightful, and mutually respectful of any Sopranos discussions on the Net.

You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and message board features. However if you complete the easy and free registration process, you will be able to search for threads of topical interest via the forum search engine, display with one click all new posts since your last visit, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, personalize your forum interface via your control panel, and access other special features. When you’re ready to join, there are no painful finger pricks, messy blood vows, or burning of the likenesses of saints. Simply click here and register!

If you have any problems with the registration process or new account login, or if you were a member at the old Ezboard Chase Lounge and cannot login to your existing account, please contact me.

If you see this message and have a working account, ignore all of the above and simply login.:-)

Thanks and hope to 'see' you on the boards soon.

FlyOnMelfisWall, Founder/Administrator

Why do Tony et. all constantly mangle the English language?

Forum: The Kitchen Sink

Why do Tony et. all constantly mangle the English language?
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #1
Splishak
Honorary Capo

Default Why do Tony et. all constantly mangle the English language?

I'd love to know why Tony and others (especially Paulie and Junior) seem to constantlyl mangle the English language and don't seem to either know or care. It is one of the things I enjoy most about the show. But I'd love to know why people think they do this.

One good example that comes to mind is Little Carmine hosting what he called a "meeting of the minds." He began by saying that, "certain events have expired which ...". I found that to be laugh-out-loud funny. Of course, he meant "transpired" and given that the meeting blew up because of Phil's brother "expiring" it just seemed hilarious to me. There are dozens of other examples of this kind of mangling - especially by Tony, Junior and Paulie.

But Tony and many of the other guys are not stupid and I'm guessing, that for the most part, have made it through high school. I'd just love to know why they go out of their way to try and adopt language or knowledge that they don't really understand and then use it without first finding out how to use it. After all, it's not difficult to look it up in a dictionary, and especially with the internet.

Remember when Melfi told Tony about "amour fou"? It's the French phrase for "crazy love". Tony latched on to this and without really knowing how to pronounce it, he repeated a mangled version to other people.

But why? Surely he realizes that he risks looking like a fool when he does this. Part of the reason may be that he wants to try an impress people who don't know these expressons. But surely he knows how easy it is to just look up these words and phrases before using them so that he can use them with confidence. Why would an otherwise intelligent man who seems to enjoy learning put himself in such a silly position?

Re: Why do Tony et. all constantly mangle the English language?
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #2
proimagemaker
Civilian

Default Re: Why do Tony et. all constantly mangle the English language?

Oh come on, how can you seriously think that.

It is an intentional goof to make that adds to their, not so bright characters. My favorite: last season Christopher says to Sir Ben about the movie screenwriter, "Yea, he's written for Law & Order: The SUV!

Old April 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Splishak
Honorary Capo

Quote:
It is an intentional goof to make that adds to their, not so bright characters.
Sorry. I honestly don't understand what you're saying here. Is it done intentionally by the writer to make the character appear to be a fool? Or is it intended to look like the character intentionally tries to use the phrase in order to make themselves appear brighter than they actually are?

Old April 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #4
Garth
Capo

Send a message via AIM to Garth Send a message via Yahoo to Garth

Does it really bother you that much Splishak? It is just meant to be a bit of comic relief. Not a whole lot deeper then that I think. But, for the record, Paulie, at least, did not make it through high school, he dropped out. I remember that from a 4th season episode.

Old April 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #5
Garth
Capo

Send a message via AIM to Garth Send a message via Yahoo to Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splishak View Post
Sorry. I honestly don't understand what you're saying here. Is it done intentionally by the writer to make the character appear to be a fool? Or is it intended to look like the character intentionally tries to use the phrase in order to make themselves appear brighter than they actually are?
Both. The character IS a fool, but also tries to impress others by using vocabulary that they do not know how to properly use.

Old April 9th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Splishak
Honorary Capo

Thanks for letting me know Garth. Much appreciated.

Old April 9th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #7
pitbullluv
Soldier

The misuse of words on The Sopranos are priceless! I always shake my head in confusion after hearing little Carmine talk! LOL That is why one of the trailers had scenes that included incorrect grammar and it was titled "The Last 9 epitaths (I think)".